The great mythologist reminds us that our bliss is part of our suffering.
- The famous academic will forever be known for his message to "follow your bliss".
- George Lucas admitted that Star Wars was heavily influenced by Campbell.
- The Power of Myth remains one of the most popular public television series of all time.
The ancients had a cornucopia of holidays and festivities.
- A great deal of modern holidays derived from Ancient Roman festivities.
- The changes of the seasons was a popular time to hold reverence for local gods and goddesses.
- Nearly every culture in the past had a unique holiday in which they celebrated, venerated and worshipped.
The Nazis actively searched for Atlantis, seeing it as important to their mythology.
- The mythical city of Atlantis was first mentioned in Plato's writings.
- Top Nazis, including Heimlich Himmler, tried to find the city through expeditions.
- The island was key to Nazi thinking about the "Aryan race".
Christmas has many pagan and secular traditions that early Christians incorporated into this new holiday.
- Christmas was heavily influenced by the Roman festival of Saturnalia.
- The historical Jesus was not born on December 25th as many contemporary Christians believe.
- Many staple Christmas traditions predated the festival and were tied into ancient pagan worship of the sun and related directly to the winter solstice.
Dozens of mummified cats were dug up this week. This isn't as shocking as you might think.
- Archaeologists in Egypt have found dozens of mummified cats in the tomb of a royal offical.
- The cats will join the ranks of hundreds of thousands of previously discovered ancient kitties.
- While the cats are nothing special, the tomb also held well preserved beetles.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.