The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
Superpowers team up to heat up the ionosphere by over 200 degrees.
- Russian scientists emitted a large amount of high-frequency radio waves into the ionosphere.
- A Chinese satellite studied the data from orbit.
- Potential military applications of this tech raise alarms.
TheTrueSize.com offers hours of fun while you stretch and shrink countries and states all over the globe.
- Our world maps lie to us: North America and Europe aren't really that big and Africa really is much bigger.
- It's all the fault of Mercator: even if the man himself wasn't necessarily Eurocentric, his projection is.
- This interactive map tool reveals countries' true sizes without having to resort to the Peters projection.
The Russian robot named "Boris", promoted as hi-tech by state tv, was revealed to be an actor.
- A state-owned channel showed a report on a "robot" which turned out to be an actor in a suit.
- The robot "Boris" was supposed to be good at math and dancing.
- Russian journalists who raised questions ultimately found out the truth.
The incredible story of a scientist who survived gulags, fighting to change his country and physics.
- Physicist Yuri Orlov fought for human rights during the Cold War.
- He was arrested by the KGB and exiled to Siberia.
- Orlov's story can inspire scientists to fight for their beliefs.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.