Over two billion people regularly eat insects. Why are Americans so squeamish?
- Humans have eaten insects for a long time, yet Westerners rarely put them on their plate.
- Insects are a sustainable and nutritious alternative that can help mitigate the effects of climate change.
- Currently, the edible insects market is $55 million and growing.
Beefless meat enters the mainstream.
- Burger King is testing its first major foray into the field of beefless patties.
- On top of plant-based meats, cellular agriculture — or "cell-ag" — can also yield animal-free patties.
- A new report lists 90 reasons that cell-ag holds a lot of promise.
Though eggs are back on the menu, some are trying to rewrite the script.
- A new study at Northwestern University found a link between egg consumption and cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality.
- The research relied on self-reporting at the beginning of observation, with no follow-up reporting.
- Correlation is likely, not causation, as larger studies have found the opposite to be true.
Love to drop F-bombs? Thank the shift to agriculture.
- A new study suggests that the f and v sounds were made easier to pronounce by the change in our diets the invention of farming made possible.
- The idea isn't a new one, but is only now being taken seriously.
- Even today, many hunter-gather cultures lack labiodentals in their languages.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.