New technology offers us a look at the green future of aviation and cargo shipping.
Photo courtesy of Flying Whales.
- A solar-powered airship built by a U.K.-based company could be a groundbreaking way to freight cargo internationally with lower emissions, and a big step towards a 100 percent renewable world.
- Varialift's airship will use helium gas to lift off, which is a great deal safer than the hydrogen that airships of the past used.
- It's been estimated that the cost of the Varialift aircraft would be comparable to a jumbo jet.
While the blockbuster franchise might have given us a distorted view of science's capabilities to address species extinction, new research might come close to "resurrecting" lost species' DNA.
- Jurassic Park has fueled public misconceptions about science's abilities to bring extinct species back to life.
- De-extinction technology can resurrect genetic material from extinct species into their living relatives in a way that can assist conservation efforts.
- Fostering empathy for other-than-human lives through stories might be the key to addressing the current ecological catastrophe.
Researchers found that the hearts of Sufi devotees harmonized as one during a mystical practice. And this isn't the first study to show heart synchronization between people.
- Anthropologists at the University of Connecticut discovered that the heartbeats of Sufi practitioners synchronized during an important ritual.
- Sufism is a mystical component of Islam that emphasizes coming to know God through direct experience, like trance.
- Other studies have also found that individuals who are closely connected emotionally and socially experience physiological alignment.
Before you judge someone's personality based in their playlist, you may want to read the results of this study.
- New research predicts links between music and film preferences and recent models of unhealthy and psychopathic personality traits.
- A study on 379 participants found that conservative music tastes and a preference for faith-based movies that were the most strongly correlated to dysfunctional personality traits.
- Psychopathy's component of "boldness" corresponded to enjoyment of rhythmic beats, like R&B and party music.
Molly Hanson is a Wisconsin-based writer. She writes stories about nature, climate change, religion, ritual, psychology, the occult, running, and politics.
Follow her on Twitter at @molly_f_hanson.