NASA's intrepid Curiosity rolls upward into Mars history.
- Curiosity is exploring an exposed cross-section of Mars' early history within the unusual Gale Crater.
- Intriguing salt deposits indicate briny bodies of water appearing and disappearing over time.
- Curiosity is digging through Mar's past in search of environments that could have supported microscopic life.
An unexpectedly revealing find in Mongolia solves a longstanding riddle.
- Normal geological evidence isn't precise enough to confirm paleontologists' suspicions.
- The new fossils find is covered by a fine veneer of red sand deposited in a single season.
- Scientists can infer whose eggs they were.
An extinction events expert sounds a dire warning.
- The supervolcano in Yellowstone National Park could cause an "ultra-catastrophe," warns an extinction events writer.
- The full eruption of the volcano last happened 640,000 years ago.
- The blast could kill billions and make United States uninhabitable.
Fauna and flora refuse to go quietly into the Anthropocene.
- Pioneers of the Greater Holocene plan to strike back against concrete.
- Seed packets and plant nutrients are the weapons of choice for standing up to humanity's destructive impact.
- Hopeless? Maybe. Poignant? Absolutely.
It's strange to think that something that died 76m years ago plays a role in modern ecosystems, but life is opportunistic.