An extinction events expert sounds a dire warning.
- The supervolcano in Yellowstone National Park could cause an "ultra-catastrophe," warns an extinction events writer.
- The full eruption of the volcano last happened 640,000 years ago.
- The blast could kill billions and make United States uninhabitable.
Fauna and flora refuse to go quietly into the Anthropocene.
- Pioneers of the Greater Holocene plan to strike back against concrete.
- Seed packets and plant nutrients are the weapons of choice for standing up to humanity's destructive impact.
- Hopeless? Maybe. Poignant? Absolutely.
It's strange to think that something that died 76m years ago plays a role in modern ecosystems, but life is opportunistic.
Study shows minerals sequester carbon for thousands of years, which may explain oxygen's abundance in the atmosphere.
Scientists discover how to predict megaquakes earlier to improve warning systems.
- Earthquakes of 7+ magnitude share a particular pattern, find seismologists.
- The pored over data of over 3,000 earthquakes to spot a "slip pulse".
- The scientists advocate using real-time GPS sensor data in early warning systems.