‘Micro snails’ we scraped from sidewalk cracks help unlock details of ancient Earth’s biological evolution
Scientists discovered microbes that have lived on Earth for millions of years.
You won't notice much of a difference unless you're north of the 55th parallel, though.
- Magnetic north has recently been moving north from Canada to Russia in a cold hurry.
- It's moving about 33 miles a year instead of the usual 7 miles.
- World navigation models had to updated ahead of schedule to catch up with it.
A network of devices called MERMAIDs is taking seismographs where they've never been.
- Most of the ocean floor is inaccessible to seismologists.
- Much can be learned about the interior of Earth by listening to earthquakes.
- Ingenious new floating sensors are changing the ocean seismology game.
Chinese scientists find a 600-million-year-old creature.
- Researchers in China find fossils of a creature that lived 600 million years ago.
- This creature resembles a modern-day comb jelly.
- If confirmed, these would be the oldest animal fossils discovered.
Researchers find an amazing amount of often-weird forms of life below the planet's surface.
- Scientists found a rich ecosystem deep inside the planet.
- The "deep biosphere" contains mostly bacteria and microbes.
- The amount of life below the surface is hundreds of times greater than the combined weight of all the humans.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.