"What a shock," said no dog lover ever.
- A speech language pathologist has taught her puppy Stella to use 29 words.
- Stella "speaks" by stepping on large buttons programmed with recordings of words.
- The dog expresses her desires, comments on household events, and offers opinions.
It's not the act of buying but how you spend money that improves happiness and life satisfaction.
- To prove money can't buy happiness, people point to millionaires and lottery winners who ruined their lives.
- Psychological studies have shown that learning how to spend your money can improve overall happiness.
- We explore eight money-spending principles that research suggests can bolster life satisfaction.
Not only will this help diagnose schizophrenia earlier, but it also points to a possible cause of schizophrenia.
- Schizophrenia can be difficult to diagnose early, which is why it's important to identify physical markers that appear in schizophrenics but not the healthy population.
- To determine this, researchers examined mice with schizophrenia-like symptoms and compared them to a healthy group. They found that the mice with schizophrenia-like symptoms had elevated levels of MPST, an enzyme that produces hydrogen sulfide.
- Not only does this provide a biomarker for schizophrenia, but it also suggests that schizophrenia may come about due to what the researchers called "sulfide stress."
The blob that's astonishing science gets its own exhibit.
- In recognition of its amazing traits, a zoo has just invited slime mold into its ranks.
- Neither plant, and probably not a fungus, slime molds may represent a major turning point in our understanding of intelligence.
- Of course, the French zoo is calling it "Le Blob."
When it comes to scientific theory, (or your personal life) be sure to question everything.
- The theories we build to navigate the world, both scientifically and in our personal lives, all contain assumptions. They're a critical part of scientific theory.
- Cognitive psychologist Donald Hoffman urges us to always question those assumptions. In this way, by challenging ourselves, we come to a deeper understanding of the task at hand.
- Historically, humans have come to some of our greatest discoveries by simply questioning assumed information.