A new study finds such kids excel in all cognitive areas.
- A Spanish study finds that nuts consumed early in pregnancy boost babies' cognitive strength.
- Eating walnuts, almonds, peanuts, pine nuts and/or hazelnuts early in pregnancy can make a big difference.
- For those without allergies, nuts are good food.
A study found how the "map" for the sense of touch develops in the brain.
- Scientists looked at brains of mice to track embryonic development of the sense of touch.
- They found that a "map" for the sense of touch is in place before birth.
- Human cerebral cortexes are similarly organized, indicating that the same process likely takes place.
- Consciousness has long been difficult to define, whether you're a biologist, neuroscientist, or philosopher.
- So Frans de Waal looks at what actions humans take that require conscious thought.
- Comparing them to actions in certain animals suggests consciousness is not a human trait alone.
A recent study could help improve treatments for PTSD, anxiety and phobias.
- A new study examined how the effects of fear-related memories can be silenced in the brain.
- Forming new and positive "extinction memories" can help to silence fearful memories.
- The study found that the hippocampus plays a significant role in "extinction training."
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.