Ecosia says the funds generated from users' searches help to plant one tree every second.
- Ecosia is a search engine that donates 80 percent of its profits to tree-planting projects in multiple countries.
- The search engine makes money by selling advertising space, but doesn't sell or track user data.
- Planting trees is likely one of the cheapest and most effective ways to combat climate change.
Satellite movie shows clouds of carbon monoxide drifting over South America.
- The Amazon fires were captured by the AIRS camera on the Aqua satellite.
- A movie clip released by NASA shows a huge cloud of CO drifting across the continent.
- Fortunately, carbon monoxide at this altitude has little effect on air quality.
The blazes may be the first step in a hellish downward spiral.
- Never before has so much of the Amazon rainforest been on fire.
- The fires are largely set by humans clearing areas for development.
- The fires may push us into a vicious, irreversible climate pattern.
Research in plant neurobiology shows that plants have senses, intelligence and emotions.
- The field of plant neurobiology studies the complex behavior of plants.
- Plants were found to have 15-20 senses, including many like humans.
- Some argue that plants may have awareness and intelligence, while detractors persist.
The loss of elephants accelerates climate change.
- Elephants help keep the central African forests they live in healthy.
- Without elephants, the forests see a striking reduction in their carbon dioxide-storage capacity.
- Study calls elephants "natural forest managers."