With the ivory trade on the decline, poachers have been capitalizing on a new, disturbing trend.
- At the start of 2018, China banned all ivory products within its borders. As one of the largest markets for ivory, this represented a significant win for conservationists.
- However, just as the ivory trade declined, a new demand for elephant skin emerged.
- The skin is used in medicine and to make jewelry. What options are there for combating this dangerous new trend?
Here's how we stop a health crisis before it wreaks havoc on us.
- Alexander Fleming discovered a fungus that produced a chemical that could stop nearly every bacteria in its path.
- The 1950s are known as the Golden Era of Antibiotic Development. However, today, there is a looming superbug crisis because bacteria has mutated whilst we've focused on treating other diseases, such as cancer and heart disease.
- Many companies in the pharmaceutical industry don't want to take on the expensive risk of finding another antibiotic drug. However, a potential superbug crisis may compel us to use tax-break and patent policies to incentivize them to do so.
Even more intriguing is the reason: recognizing facial expressions.
- A new systematic review states that serotonergic hallucinogens help users recognize emotions in facial expressions.
- Sufferers of anxiety and depression often only read negative emotions in other people's faces, adding to their malaise.
- While more research is needed, psychedelics could prove to be a powerful agent in battling mental health disorders.
Normally, life expectancy increases every year. For Americans, the opioid epidemic is changing that.
- Americans' life expectancy dropped between 2014 and 2017, a significant downtrend that hasn't been seen since World War I.
- An analysis by the CDC identified the opioid epidemic as the cause.
- How did the opioid epidemic get so bad, and what can we do to stop it?
Don't believe a small reduction in immunization matters?
- Universities of South Florida and Pittsburgh publish an online immunization simulator.
- The simulator shows the stunning effect of even small drops in vaccination rates.
- It's not just anti-vaxxers threatening community health. There are economic and geographical factors as well.