The navigation tool has placed a school in the sea, among other things.
- Google has apologized for the sudden instability of its maps in Japan.
- Errors may stem from Google's long-time map data provider Zenrin – or from the cancellation of its contract.
- Speculation on the latter option caused Zenrin shares to drop 16% last Friday.
First contact movies had their Golden Age in 1980s America – now they're going global.
- The first extra-terrestrial to make contact (in a movie) appeared in 1920s Germany.
- ET set off a wave of 'first contact' movies in the 1980s.
- Many recent alien-landing movies are set in China and India – the future of the genre may well be Asian.
Best case: Redrawing borders leads to peace, prosperity and EU membership. But there's also a worst case.
Researchers use algorithms to find the longest straight-line distances on land and at sea
- What links a small town in Portugal and a huge port city in China?
- The answer may surprise even inhabitants of both places: the world's longest straight line over land
- That line and its maritime equivalent were determined not by exploration but by calculation
Interactive map reveals the horror — and the patterns — of murder in 14th-century London.
- This map shows the 142 murders that were committed in London from 1300 to 1340.
- Each clickable pin reveals the grisly details as recorded in contemporary coroner's reports.
- Then as now, stabbing was the main method of killing in London — but the murder rate was three times higher.