In modern disinformation warfare, social media is the main battlefield.
- Twitter and Facebook say they've deleted multiple accounts that appear to be connected to a state-backed disinformation campaign.
- The accounts paint the Hong Kong protesters in an extremely negative light, with some calling them cockroaches.
- In Hong Kong, hundreds of thousands of protesters have been marching for 11 weeks, in what started as a fierce objection to a bill that would extradite Hong Kong citizens to China.
North America and Europe peripheral on China's 'vertical world map'
- Europe has dominated cartography for so long that its central place on the world map seems normal
- However, as the economic centre of gravity shifts east and the climate warms up, tomorrow's map may be very different
- Focusing on both China and Arctic shipping lanes, this vertical representation could be the world map of the future
The first human-monkey hybrid has allegedly been created in a Chinese lab.
- Leaked research by Spanish scientists claims that they've created the world's first human-monkey chimera embryo.
- Lead researcher, Juan Carlos Izpisúa has previously worked on pig-human embryos.
- Their intended goal of the study is to use the animals to create organs for human transplant.
With the ivory trade on the decline, poachers have been capitalizing on a new, disturbing trend.
- At the start of 2018, China banned all ivory products within its borders. As one of the largest markets for ivory, this represented a significant win for conservationists.
- However, just as the ivory trade declined, a new demand for elephant skin emerged.
- The skin is used in medicine and to make jewelry. What options are there for combating this dangerous new trend?
New report shows the extent of China's hidden power as the developing world's creditor.
- Over 50 developing countries' Chinese debt accounts for on average 15 percent of their individual GDP.
- New report shows that the majority of the world's developing country's debt to China is considered "hidden."
- China's loans for poor countries are primarily for crucial infrastructure.