The relentless sun makes life in the Sahara almost unbearable. But could it also be its greatest resource?
- If the Sahara Desert were a country, it would be the fifth largest in the world.
- Each square metre receives, on average, between 2,000 and 3,000 kilowatt hours of solar energy per year.
- There are two practical technologies at the moment to generate solar electricity within this context: concentrated solar power (CSP) and regular photovoltaic solar panels.
While there's plenty to be worried about, it's important to remember that we're making progress, too.
- If we do nothing, global temperatures could rise as high as 10 degrees Celsius by the end of the century.
- Fortunately, humanity is hard at work at keeping temperature increases below the 2 degrees Celsius mark.
- These 7 projects are just a snapshot of what humanity is collectively doing to fight back and beat climate change.
A consortium of scientists and engineers have proposed that the U.S. and Mexico build a series of guarded solar, wind, natural gas and desalination facilities along the entirety of the border.
- The proposal was recently presented to several U.S. members of Congress.
- The plan still calls for border security, considering all of the facilities along the border would be guarded and connected by physical barriers.
- It's undoubtedly an expensive and complicated proposal, but the team argues that border regions are ideal spots for wind and solar energy, and that they could use the jobs and fresh water the energy park would create.
Disney, one of world's largest entertainment companies, doubles down on its environmental plan.
- Disney is taking the lead in reducing greenhouse emissions at its facilities.
- The company built a giant solar panel installation to power its Florida resort.
- Disney plans to cut emissions by 50 percent by the year 2020.
Is Tesla a car manufacturer or an energy company?
- The Greek government is considering collaborating with Tesla to modernize the electric grids on its many islands.
- The project(s) would involve microgrids connected to Tesla's energy storage systems.
- Tesla has helped to make energy storage technology better and more affordable in recent years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.