Lengthening daylight isn't necessarily good news where mental health is concerned.
A new report argues that we stand to gain a lot economically by investing in 5 key areas.
- The Global Commission on Adaptation, an organization led by Ban Ki-Moon, Bill Gates, and Kristalina Georgieva, breaks down the costs and benefits of investing in five key areas for climate adaptation.
- Whereas climate mitigation focuses on reducing future greenhouse gas emissions, climate adaptation focuses on how to deal with the changing world that climate change will bring.
- Both mitigation and adaptation projects are commonly criticized as being too expensive, but the new report underscores the quantitative benefits that could be realized.
Hurricane Dorian has devastated the islands.
- Hurricane Dorian battered the Bahama Islands for nearly two days.
- Over half of the island was submerged in water.
- Climate scientists are starting to think that the intensification and length of hurricanes can be traced to climate change.
Researchers from UCLA invent a device that generates electricity from a rather unusual source.
- UCLA scientists have invented a cheap, flexible, and simple device called snow-TENG that generates electricity when it comes into contact with snow.
- Scientists have known that snow carries an electrical charge for several decades, but this device is one of the first to capitalize on that effect.
- The researchers believe that snow-TENG could be used in movement-tracking applications or as a simple weather station that requires no battery to operate.
2019 could prove to be the second-hottest year on record.
- A new report from the European Union's Copernicus Climate Change Programme describes how 2019 has already logged several record-hot months.
- Alarmingly, these temperature increases are occurring even though the planet is transitioning into a more neutral El Niño phase.
- This year brought several severe heat waves to Europe, India, and Pakistan, among other areas.