Once again, sugar-rich processed foods are shown to increase the likelihood of anxiety.
- Ten percent of the global population currently suffers from an anxiety disorder.
- A Canadian-based team discovered a link between anxiety and high-sugar, processed foods.
- Subjects whose diets were high in fruits and vegetables were less likely to suffer from such a disorder.
A new research article states that the obesity epidemic is affecting more than just waistlines.
- While the cost of food waste is high, the environmental impact of obesity is even higher.
- According to researchers in Italy, obesity results in an extra 140 billion tons of food consumption every year.
- Obesity costs Americans $1.72 trillion in healthcare costs and is now the leading cause of death.
Unhealthy diets cause the part of your brain responsible for appetite to become inflamed, encouraging further eating and obesity.
- Anyone who has tried to change their diet can tell you it's not as simple as simply waking up and deciding to eat differently.
- New research sheds light on a possible explanation for this; high-fat diets can cause inflammation in the hypothalamus, which regulates hunger.
- Mice fed high-fat diets tended to eat more and become obese due to this inflammation.
Bill Maher called for fat shaming last week. His argument makes sense.
- As the NY Times reports, obesity is the leading cause of death in America, costing the health care system $1.72 trillion.
- Bill Maher called for fat shaming as a means of transforming the lethargic mindset about obesity.
- When implemented properly, shame can be an important and powerful tool, writes NYU professor Jennifer Jacquet.
The reason one diet does not suit all may be found in our guts.