Learn how to negotiate like a shark. Here are Shark Tank investor Daymond John's tips for powerful communication.
- You're negotiating every day of your life, whether it's a huge business deal or something as small as getting the remote control from your partner, says Shark Tank investor Daymond John.
- Over 65 percent of communication is body language. Only seven percent is what you say. Using body language effectively is a simple way to shift power to your court during negotiations or strategically shift power over to others.
- Used-car salespeople have this down to a fine art, says John. They are the best because they listen to clues in the way potential customers talk and then they engage your senses: sight, smell, touch, sound, and taste.
While we might not love the idea of deadlines, they can be cause for some of our greatest creative work.
- Creative individuals produce better work when there's a deadline involved, says media mogul Tina Brown.
- To extract great work, you shouldn't have the option to escape it. Deadlines add a level of pressure that makes for better results.
- In Brown's opinion, some of the best journalistic work was done in the period after 9/11. The combination of subject matter, content, and passion rallied creatives to put forth incredible coverage.
Creating a healthy, cohesive work environment leads to better productivity.
- One of the main responsibilities a manager has is to create an environment where employees can be more productive.
- The quality of work increases when people feel like they are a part of a team working towards a goal bigger than themselves.
- Three tips for creating that kind of work culture are learning to delegate, understanding the jobs of the people you manage, and connecting with as many employees on a one-on-one basis as possible.
Retail therapy has been proven to make us happier, but is there a catch?
- Retail therapy is a process of shopping for the purpose of making yourself feel better.
- According to financial psychologists, there is a psychological connection between your emotions and how you spend (and save) money, which explains how retail therapy can have such a positive, uplifting effect on our state of mind.
- However, retail shopping often happens when we are vulnerable, and that is when our impulse control often goes unchecked.
It takes more than a good idea to land a shark as a business partner.
- As a successful entrepreneur, investor, and one of the stars of 'Shark Tank,' Daymond John is used to being pitched business ideas. In this interview, he shares what separates bad pitches from great pitches.
- Beyond the idea, how well (or not) he and potential business partners will work together is a big factor.
- Proof that the person did their research and some of the legwork before hand also goes a long way.