At high tide each night, bright lights predict the underwater future.
- Lochmaddy is a seaside village sitting at the encroaching edge of the North Atlantic.
- Artists dazzling lights depict the town's submerged future as the oceans continue rising.
- It's an unsettling visualization of global warming's impact.
We are destroying who they are.
- A study finds that human impact is decimating the cultures of chimpanzee communities in the wild.
- Unique localized behaviors are being reduced by 88 percent.
- Socialized learning in chimps has finally been established, just in time to be destroyed.
New statistical analyses show that human-driven climate change is a virtual certainty.
- While it's difficult to find people who deny climate change is happening, some still argue that humans are not climate change's primary cause.
- By applying peer-reviewed statistical methods to 40 years' worth of satellite data, researchers have determined that the evidence of human-driven climate change has passed the gold standard of scientific certainty: the five-sigma level.
- This threshold is used in particle physics to determine the existence of new particles; now, it's being used to definitively state that humans are the cause of climate change.
Despite tens of millions of dollars pouring into new technologies, a 'clean' burger remains elusive.
- Tens of millions of dollars are funding projects to create a consumer-ready lab-grown burger.
- Despite the hype, experts warn that a lot more research needs to be conducted.
- Mainstream adoption of plant-based foods, however, is making lab-grown meat a welcome possibility.
Between the noise and frustration, we're suffering more than ever.
- Traffic has been implicated in measurable exhaustion, an increase in blood pressure, negative attitudinal shifts, and a constant release of stress hormones.
- In 2009, 3.9 billion gallons of fuel and 4.8 billion hours of time were wasted by Americans sitting in traffic.
- Traffic is costing the US economy $100 billion every year.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.