Normally, the landscape in this photo would be a white ice sheet.
- Climate scientists say that Greenland is experiencing ice losses that are unusually early and heavy.
- Two main weather factors are fueling the losses: a high-pressure system and the resulting low cloud cover.
- Greenland is a major contributor to sea-level rise.
Controversial map names CEOs of 100 companies producing 71 percent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.
- Just 100 companies produce 71 percent of the world's greenhouse gases.
- This map lists their names and locations, and their CEOs.
- The climate crisis may be too complex for these 100 people to solve, but naming and shaming them is a good start.
At high tide each night, bright lights predict the underwater future.
- Lochmaddy is a seaside village sitting at the encroaching edge of the North Atlantic.
- Artists dazzling lights depict the town's submerged future as the oceans continue rising.
- It's an unsettling visualization of global warming's impact.
We are destroying who they are.
- A study finds that human impact is decimating the cultures of chimpanzee communities in the wild.
- Unique localized behaviors are being reduced by 88 percent.
- Socialized learning in chimps has finally been established, just in time to be destroyed.
New statistical analyses show that human-driven climate change is a virtual certainty.
- While it's difficult to find people who deny climate change is happening, some still argue that humans are not climate change's primary cause.
- By applying peer-reviewed statistical methods to 40 years' worth of satellite data, researchers have determined that the evidence of human-driven climate change has passed the gold standard of scientific certainty: the five-sigma level.
- This threshold is used in particle physics to determine the existence of new particles; now, it's being used to definitively state that humans are the cause of climate change.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.