Towards the end of his life, Francisco Goya began painting terrifying scenes directly onto the walls of his house.
- The Black Paintings stand out in art history for their dark composition and themes.
- The biggest mystery, though, is that Goya painted them directly onto the walls of his home and never told anybody about them.
- With such little information, all we can do is speculate about the 14 horrifying Black Paintings.
It's hard to get off of the couch after a few eggnogs, let alone destroy public property.
- In 1826, Americans loved to drink, and the young cadets at West Point Academy were no exception.
- After being forbidden from imbibing everyone's favorite egg-based holiday beverage, West Point cadets would go on to start a riot that lasted into the early hours of Christmas morning.
- The story behind the Eggnog Riot both offers a glimpse into life in 1826 and the history behind how West Point became the disciplined institution it is today.
Explosives sent to addresses linked to former Vice President Joe Biden and actor Robert De Niro were similar to bombs delivered to other political figures this week, officials said.
- Two bombs were sent to Biden, one to De Niro. Nobody was injured.
- So far, 10 people, all Democrats or critics of President Donald Trump, have been targeted in this week's string of attempted bombings.
- Trump denounced the attempted bombings but also suggested the media is partly to blame.
If your dream vacation involves a luau, dark tourism probably isn't for you.
- A new form of tourism that focuses on visiting sites associated with death and tragedy is growing in popularity.
- Some call it exploitative, and some call it respectful. Still others consider it to be far too dangerous for reasonable people.
- In any case, dark tourism showcases humanity's irresistible fascination with death.
American geneticists take a stand against the misuse of their science by racists.
- The largest society of geneticists decries the distortion of ideas by racists.
- Science does not support the concept of race.
- Race is a social construct, explain the scientists.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.