Can AI make better predictions about future crimes?
- A new study finds algorithmic predictions of recidivism more accurate than human authorities.
- Researchers are trying to construct tests of such AI that accurately mirror real-world deliberations.
- What level of reliability should we demand of AI in sentencing?
Scholars often debate risking their livelihoods and personal safety in order to conduct research in certain areas.
- Authoritarian governments that rely heavily on coercion must be more intrusive about how education shapes the personality and character of its members.
- In China, there are topics that scholars know to avoid — especially, the Three Ts: Taiwan, Tibet, and Tiananmen Square.
- While the majority of scholars are likely toeing the party line when it comes to their research, some are working toward encouraging academic freedom in the country, often at significant risk to themselves and their families.
"People are not commodities!" said Assemblyman Rob Bonta.
- California lawmakers voted in favor of a bill that would phase out private prisons, and four ICE detention centers in the state, by 2028.
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom still needs to sign the bill, which he is expected to do.
- Private prisons house a minority of the national prisoner population, but their populations have grown by 1,600 percent from 1990 to 2005, according to the Justice Policy Institute.
Until the use of prison labor is banned, many stakeholders will be incentivized to prevent felons from being rehabilitated.
- The Thirteenth amendment prohibits slavery in the U.S. except as punishment for a crime.
- A considerable number of public institutions, private companies, and individuals benefit from prison labor.
- Is true prison reform possible when some many stand to gain from this legalized form of slavery?
Researchers discover government agencies use facial recognition software on photos from local DMVs.
- FBI and ICE routinely scan through millions of photos in state DMV databases.
- The agencies use facial recognition software to find matches for suspects.
- Congressmen on both sides of the isle are worried about privacy implications of such unregulated practices.