The same 32 symbols show up in prehistoric European cave art.
- Many of these symbols are found in caves in Africa, Asia, Australia and America as well.
- At least 40,000 years old, the set of symbols may have been a universal communications tool.
- Among these symbols is the iconic hashtag.
A network of devices called MERMAIDs is taking seismographs where they've never been.
- Most of the ocean floor is inaccessible to seismologists.
- Much can be learned about the interior of Earth by listening to earthquakes.
- Ingenious new floating sensors are changing the ocean seismology game.
In 2008, Elon Musk explained which of history's tech geniuses was his role model.
"Dinner and drinks" may take on a new, more provocative meaning.
- Scientist propose a layered cocktail as a future male contraceptive.
- Chemical layers block the flow of sperm and can be dissolved with near-infrared light.
- Tiny umbrella not included.
Foundational business books for success.
Fifty Inventions That Shaped the Modern Economy, by Tim Harford
- Explore the 50 inventions that made the modern world.
- There is rich advice in the literature of start-up development.
- Learn about the interconnectedness of innovation and business development.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.