Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
Research by neuroscientists at MIT's Picower Institute for Learning and Memory helps explain how the brain regulates arousal.
The big day has come: You are taking your road test to get your driver's license. As you start your mom's car with a stern-faced evaluator in the passenger seat, you know you'll need to be alert but not so excited that you make mistakes. Even if you are simultaneously sleep-deprived and full of nervous energy, you need your brain to moderate your level of arousal so that you do your best.
The American Psychological Association recently released guidelines for treating boys and men. Men aren't happy about it.
- APA Guidelines for the Psychological Practice of Boys and Men represents the first time the association has published rules specifically for treating white, Western males.
- Though the guidelines are data-driven and therapeutically sound, a corner of the American Right (and some on the Left) has taken offense.
- Men still dominate statistics in a number of categories, including suicide rates, substance abuse, and violence.
The countdown continues! This is the 6th most popular video of 2018 — and it could save you years of trouble.
- Here's a fast fact about high-conflict people: life is better when you avoid them. Bill Eddy, mediation expert and president of the High Conflict Institute, describes them not only as difficult but also potentially dangerous.
- So how can we avoid becoming a target in their path of destruction? First, you have to be able to recognize them, says Eddy. They tend to share these four key characteristics: a preoccupation with blaming others, all-or-nothing thinking, unmanaged emotions, and extreme behaviors.
- Once you know what you're dealing with—a textbook high-conflict personality—you can take measures to manage this relationship, whether it's at home, at work, or beyond. Eddy shares his matter-of-fact methods for withdrawing from these people or, if that's not an option, for how to resist their conflict lures and disengage from the drama.
Good quotes are powerful catalysts for positive actions.
- Quotes can be good reminders that we're not alone in our struggles.
- The most powerful quotes remind us that while failure is not optional, how we treat it is.
- Fail well and learn from it, the most successful figures remind us again and again.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.