Can you make solar power work when the sun goes down? You can, and Dubai is about to run a city that way.
- A new concentrated solar plant is under construction in Dubai.
- When it opens next year, it will be the largest plant of its kind on Earth.
- Concentrated solar power solves the problem of how to store electricity in ways that solar pannels cannot.
Doctors may be able to painlessly reshape cartilage with the technique.
- The application of electrical current can temporarily soften cartilage, allowing it to be manipulated before re-hardening.
- The technique promises to eliminate cutting, scarring, pain, and recovery time.
- So far it's been tested on just one bunny who now has one straight ear and one bent one.
What gives us color now may give rise to our cyborg future.
- Eumelanin is a mildly conductive type of melanin that produces dark pigmentation in hair, eyes, and skin.
- Researchers have just found a way to boost its conductivity without adding foreign materials.
- Eulemanin may be useable as a coating for implanted devices the body won't reject.
While there's plenty to be worried about, it's important to remember that we're making progress, too.
- If we do nothing, global temperatures could rise as high as 10 degrees Celsius by the end of the century.
- Fortunately, humanity is hard at work at keeping temperature increases below the 2 degrees Celsius mark.
- These 7 projects are just a snapshot of what humanity is collectively doing to fight back and beat climate change.
Disney, one of world's largest entertainment companies, doubles down on its environmental plan.
- Disney is taking the lead in reducing greenhouse emissions at its facilities.
- The company built a giant solar panel installation to power its Florida resort.
- Disney plans to cut emissions by 50 percent by the year 2020.