- There are 2 different approaches to governing free speech on college campuses.
- One is a morality/order approach. The other is a bottom-up approach.
- Emily Chamlee-Wright says there are many benefits to having no one central authority on what is appropriate speech.
The real Game of Thrones might be who best leverages the hit HBO show to shape political narratives.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren argues that Game of Thrones is primarily about women in her review of the wildly popular HBO show.
- Warren also touches on other parallels between the show and our modern world, such as inequality, political favoritism of the elite, and the dire impact of different leadership styles on the lives of the people.
- Her review serves as another example of using Game of Thrones as a political analogy and a tool for framing political narratives.
What does the power of the online mob hold for tyranny and conformity?
- Disney CEO Bob Iger's recent critique of social media hate is indicative of a greater problem.
- The psychology of the crowd could be responsible for the hate and conformity seen online.
- Polymath Gustave Le Bon's crowd psychology theories could be more relevant today than ever.
Polls show that more Americans today define socialism as an ideology of "equality" than one espousing government control of the economy.
- Socialism is shaping up to be 2020's hot-button issue.
- Recent polls show that Republicans and Democrats hold very different definitions of what socialism is and those definitions have changed dramatically over time.
- Politicians will naturally use the definition that speaks to their bases, but lacking an understanding of the opposing side's viewpoint will further partisan divide.
Artistic and statistic cartography projects show the U.K. divided like never before.
- Stumbling from one Brexit delay to the next, Britain is paralyzed by its political division.
- Stark new work by Anish Kapoor reflects on the U.K.'s deep internal divide.
- "Archipelago maps" show Britons living in two separate countries — much like Americans.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.