Don't believe a small reduction in immunization matters?
- Universities of South Florida and Pittsburgh publish an online immunization simulator.
- The simulator shows the stunning effect of even small drops in vaccination rates.
- It's not just anti-vaxxers threatening community health. There are economic and geographical factors as well.
The issues that determine your health go way beyond seeing your doctor.
- The average American spends about 24 hours a year at the doctor's office.
- What you do the other 364 days a year mostly determines your health.
- Michael Dowling discusses Northwell's focus on environmental, social, economic and other social determinants of health.
The older we are, the less our chronological age may say about us.
- Elder speak is the condescending language — "Dearie" "Honey" "Sweetie" — many people revert to when talking with people advanced in age.
- People spoken to in this condescending way, Yale researchers have found, begin to think, act, and even move differently.
- Ageism is based on stereotypes — the assumption that all members of a group are alike. This bias is particularly ironic when it comes to older individuals because they tend to be more dissimilar from one another — due to increasingly divergent life experiences — than younger people.
Sometimes the basics really matter.
- Jordan Peterson believes that only by taking care of your immediate environment can you then move onto bigger challenges.
- The idea stems from millennials who want to change capitalist economic structures though can be applied broadly.
- In a distracted age, our inability to pay attention to our environment is leading to increased rates of anxiety and depression.
A new book about life under communism reveals an unexpected benefit.
- A new book by Kristen Ghodsee argues that women had much better sex in communist Eastern Europe than in the West.
- She attributes this to steps those states took to empower women and their resulting economic independence.
- While rebuilding the Iron Curtain isn't called for, the author suggests we can learn ways to empower women from these communist regimes.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.