- There are islands in the Chesapeake Bay that have already succumbed to sea level rise, one of them is Holland Island.
- Even in a best case scenario, the consensus is that we'll get at least two feet of sea level rise by the year 2100.
- One big question is: What will happen when flooding gets worse and worse and people decide there's no hope for them anymore to live in their respective towns.
The Portal promises to be a deep dive into the possible.
- Mathematician Eric Weinstein wants to put the mystery back into the world with his new podcast, The Portal.
- The managing director of Thiel Capital announced his new project last week on the Joe Rogan Experience.
- Weinstein says the recurring narrative is important during childhood, yet we often lose touch with it in adulthood.
Bishop Omar Jahwar explains that before mentors can inspire others, they have to be inspired themselves.
- What kind of work does a mentor do? Many expect that mentors can only help others that have been in the same situation as their mentees, but this is not the case.
- What matters is that mentors can see their mentees' potential so that they can help them move away from the situation that they are in and towards the person that they actually are.
- The opinions expressed in this video do not necessarily reflect the views of the Charles Koch Foundation, which encourages the expression of diverse viewpoints within a culture of civil discourse and mutual respect.
Singing is universal. It is found in all cultures and, despite protestations of tone deafness, the vast majority of people can sing.
Changing people's minds isn't how we end polarization. Tolerance is the gateway to peaceful coexistence.
- The goal of tolerance is not for everyone to arrive at a consensus on divisive issues, or to accept each other's views. Sarah Ruger suggests that tolerance is learning how to coexist peacefully through difference.
- Tolerance is a word with a lot of baggage, but tolerance is not patronizing or insulting; it is a starting point for something better.
- Peaceful coexistence and a focus on common goals enables people of all convictions to work towards positive social ends like innovation, social progress, and the defense of equal rights.