- It will be used to test the viability of a full-sized space elevator.
- Questions still remain about what materials could be used to build the elevator.
- If successful, a space elevator would be a cheaper way of reaching space.
- The eggs contain an antiviral protein called human interferon beta.
- This protein is known to combat some forms of cancer and other conditions.
- The unusual technique could one day provide cheaper and more effective treatments.
The billionaire is also inviting eight artists along with him. It would be the first time a civilian crew has participated in a mission to the moon.
- The billionaire is Yusaku Maezawa, a 42-year-old Japanese entrepreneur who founded the clothing website Zozo.
- Maezawa, SpaceX's first paying passenger, purchased all the open seats on the first-of-its-kind mission.
- Maezawa is calling the mission an art project, dubbed #dearMoon.
- Elon Musk says Maezawa's risky investment in #dearMoon has "done a lot to restore my faith in humanity."
These modern-day hermits can sometimes spend decades without ever leaving their apartments.
- A hikikomori is a type of person in Japan who locks themselves away in their bedrooms, sometimes for years.
- This is a relatively new phenomenon in Japan, likely due to rigid social customs and high expectations for academic and business success.
- Many believe hikikomori to be a result of how Japan interprets and handles mental health issues.
A very useful Venn diagram illustrates this concept perfectly.
In the post-modernist, Western world, religious life has decreased substantially, patriotism has been replaced with a widespread distrust of the government, and getting ahead has become exceedingly difficult. As a result, more and more people are falling victim to ennui. This dreadful feeling of bitter disillusionment stems from the loss of meaning in their lives.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.