We found 10 video games that kids will love (and they'll secretly be learning, too).
- Educational video games endure a gimcrack reputation for being boring.
- We list 10 games that can help players learn and may improve their cognitive skills.
- The American Psychological Association recognizes other benefits to playing video games, including social and motivational.
Even the most controversial research conducted by scholars can impact cultures and drive progress.
- Academic freedom is, at the same time, absolutely critical and underappreciated.
- This protection drives innovation and progress, but do we take it for granted? Scholars' ability to conduct controversial research impacts culture and society in a positive way.
- The opinions expressed in this video do not necessarily reflect the views of the Charles Koch Foundation, which encourages the expression of diverse viewpoints within a culture of civil discourse and mutual respect.
Could your urge to check emails — instead of finishing that major project — be a response to an uncomfortable emotional state?
- It's easy to stumble down a rabbit hole when we consider the action beneficial like checking emails, stock prices, or sports scores.
- However, if these seemingly beneficial actions take the place of something else we intended to do, they're just distractions. And we've been moved to these distraction as a psychological response to discomfort.
- The truth is that distraction comes from within, and time management is just another form of pain management.
Yet interpersonal trust is at its lowest point in 50 years.
This is how companies can better align with the values they claim to uphold.
- Defining corporate values is increasingly important to organizations and society—which is why consulting firms are making millions of dollars helping organizations define their values. What we're seeing consistently, says social innovator Aaron Hurst, is this is not working.
- You can print values on posters and talk about them at conferences, but these values often fail to become part of the fabric of the organization. They remain upper-management-speak.
- You could start to fix that problem in one hour, says Hurst. Try his recommended exercise: Connect your employees in pairs and ask them to talk about how a given value has shown up in their career, what does it mean to them? Values are only legitimate if everyone in your company can tell genuine stories about how those values have shown up in their daily jobs.
A newly studied hallucinogenic substance has shown signs of treating mental health conditions more efficiently than psilocybin.
- A survey study found that around 80 percent of people using the psychedelic 5-MeO-DMT in a ceremonial setting said that their depression or anxiety improved following its use.
- The "mystical" experience of drug trip might allow people to gain unique insight into themselves or their relationships and make positive life changes.
- While substance is found in the poison of the Sonoran Desert Toad, researchers say there is no reason to disturb the toad because the synthetic version of 5-MeO-DMT is identical in its effect.
The key? Focus on flavor.