The surprising results come from a new GLAAD survey.
- The survey found that 18- to 34-year-old non-LGBTQ Americans reported feeling less comfortable around LGBTQ people in a variety of hypothetical situations.
- The attitudes of older non-LGBTQ Americans have remained basically constant over the past few years.
- Overall, about 80 percent of Americans support equal rights for LGBTQ people.
We're going to have to reckon with our workweek sooner than later.
- Researchers discovered that eight hours of work per week reduces mental health issues by 30 percent.
- Working a full-time job, roughly 40 hours per week, does not result in further mental health gains.
- Societies are going to have to grapple with a new distribution of work as AI and robotics will soon replace many jobs.
The wonder and the ethics of deep time. The "wood-wide-web". The claustrophobia of the Anthropocene. In our 200th episode, UNDERLAND author Robert MacFarlane takes us on a journey deep into the Earth and ourselves.
- "We think of ourselves as this surface species. Of builders. But we are a species of burrowers and borers. And we are leaving warrens behind us that dwarf any ant's nest…"
- "That handprint on the cave wall is testimony to that urge to move into darkness in search of meaning—in search of different orders of time."
Country music deserves better cultural ambassadors.
When Donald Trump took the first international trip of his presidency to Saudi Arabia in May 2017, another US icon also travelled along as part of the celebration of the alliance between these two countries: the country-music star Toby Keith.
"I share this honor with ancestors and teachers who inspired in me a love of poetry," the 68-year-old poet said.
J. Vespa / Contributor
- Joy Harjo is a poet, author and musician, and is an active member of the Muscogee Nation.
- Poet laureates are charged with overseeing poetry readings at the Library of Congress, and with promoting poetry to the nation.
- Harjo succeeds poet and educator Tracy K. Smith.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.