It may create the conditions for further inequality.
- The Danish government is building nine artificial islands known as Holmene off the coast of Hvidovre.
- The 33 million square feet of new land will house 380 businesses and 170 acres of parkland, creating 30,000 new jobs.
- Local residents fear this project will alienate the middle class while disrupting traffic and public transportation systems in nearby Copenhagen.
Proxima Centauri, our closest star, is more than 4 light years away. Reaching it under 10,000 years will be challenging; reaching it with living humans will be even harder.
- Eventually, humanity will want to travel to a new solar system to propagate the human race, explore, and maybe find signs of alien life.
- But our closest neighbor, Proxima Centauri, is so far away that current methods could take tens of thousands of years.
- How will we surmount this incredible distance and the other challenges associated with interstellar travel?
The secret to a calmer trip to work could be hidden in plain sight.
Silent, carbon-free propulsion with no moving parts.
- A team of scientists at MIT have flown the first ionic-wind aircraft.
- It's the first successful test of the emission-free technology.
- The days of propellers and combustion engines are numbered. Imagine silent aircraft gliding overhead!
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.