Less than a mile long, the Dorfbahn in Serfaus is also the world's highest metro system.
- The world's shortest (0.8 mi) and highest (4,680 ft) metro runs beneath an Austrian ski resort.
- Constructed in 1985, the Dorfbahn keeps Serfaus traffic-free.
- Capacity will increase from 1,600 to 3,000 passengers per hour this spring.
North Korea's Great Leader would rather not fly for his second summit with Trump – but the trip is also a political message to China.
- Kim Jong-un is already traveling for his summit with Trump on Wednesday.
- Rather than flying, he's taking a 60-hour train trip through China.
- The trip is a closely guarded secret, but this map shows the most likely itinerary.
In 2008, Elon Musk explained which of history's tech geniuses was his role model.
It may create the conditions for further inequality.
- The Danish government is building nine artificial islands known as Holmene off the coast of Hvidovre.
- The 33 million square feet of new land will house 380 businesses and 170 acres of parkland, creating 30,000 new jobs.
- Local residents fear this project will alienate the middle class while disrupting traffic and public transportation systems in nearby Copenhagen.
Proxima Centauri, our closest star, is more than 4 light years away. Reaching it under 10,000 years will be challenging; reaching it with living humans will be even harder.
- Eventually, humanity will want to travel to a new solar system to propagate the human race, explore, and maybe find signs of alien life.
- But our closest neighbor, Proxima Centauri, is so far away that current methods could take tens of thousands of years.
- How will we surmount this incredible distance and the other challenges associated with interstellar travel?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.