Will the small petrol state soon be solar powered?
- The United Arab Emirates is on a solar kick — it has just opened the world's largest solar farm.
- This is only one of several huge power plants they've opened recently.
- While the country is still heavily dependent on oil, the new solar plants may change things.
In April, the U.S. generated more electricity from renewables — hydro, wind, solar, geothermal, and biomass — than coal.
- Wind and solar saw the biggest increases in April.
- Spring is when coal-generated electricity is typically lowest, and when hydro-generated electricity is highest.
- American coal-fired power plants are shutting down at record rates, putting thousands of jobs at risk.
It makes no "makes no economic or energy sense."
In November 2018, the Woolsey Fire scorched nearly 100,000 acres of Los Angeles and Ventura counties, destroying forests, fields and more than 1,500 structures, and forcing the evacuation of nearly 300,000 people over 14 days.
Cornell University researchers propose using biology to transform the storage of sustainable energy.
- Scientists from Cornell University suggest using biology to transform sustainable energy storage.
- The researchers propose combining biological and non-biological electrochemical engineering to improve on photosynthesis.
- Using electroactive microbes can produce biofuels.
The relentless sun makes life in the Sahara almost unbearable. But could it also be its greatest resource?
- If the Sahara Desert were a country, it would be the fifth largest in the world.
- Each square metre receives, on average, between 2,000 and 3,000 kilowatt hours of solar energy per year.
- There are two practical technologies at the moment to generate solar electricity within this context: concentrated solar power (CSP) and regular photovoltaic solar panels.