Is Tesla a car manufacturer or an energy company?
- The Greek government is considering collaborating with Tesla to modernize the electric grids on its many islands.
- The project(s) would involve microgrids connected to Tesla's energy storage systems.
- Tesla has helped to make energy storage technology better and more affordable in recent years.
The project involves a high-altitude balloon, tons of tiny particles and knowledge gained from a violent volcano eruption in 1991.
- Solar geoengineering aims to cool global temperatures by reflecting some of the sun's light back into space.
- The team plans to test how releasing particles at high altitudes affects a small part of the stratosphere.
- Solar geoengineering solutions such as this could be a relatively cheap way to curb global warming.
Is the future with radiative cooling?
- Scientists at Stanford have developed what is essentially a fossil-free air conditioner.
- It absorbs solar energy, creates a heat sink, and releases that heat through radiative cooling.
- The device is still in development.
Indiana ranks 3rd in coal consumption, but a primary energy utility there just declared the end of coal by 2028
- Where politicians fail, economic realities mean renewables are far less expensive: A savings of $4 billion over the next 30 years
- Indiana is 7th in coal production and 3rd in consumption; this is due to change rapidly
- The big winners? Solar and wind energies
The barrier to solar energy has always been storage. Now, bottled sunshine has a shelf-life of 18 years.
- Researchers have invented a liquid isomer that can store and release solar energy.
- The team has solved problems other researchers have previously encountered.
- The discovery could lead to more widespread use of solar energy.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.