Whether or not women think beards are sexy has to do with "moral disgust"
- A new study found that women perceive men with facial hair to be more attractive as well as physically and socially dominant.
- Women tend to associate more masculine faces with physical strength, social assertiveness, and formidability.
- Women who display higher levels of "moral disgust," or feelings of repugnance toward taboo behaviors, are more likely to prefer hairy faces.
When you struggle with anxiety or depression, sex may be the last thing on your mind. But understanding the physiological and mental benefits of a healthy sex life can help it become a tool for well-being.
- The physiological responses our bodies have to sex can minimize the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Deficiencies in nitric oxide are associated with irritability, depression, anxiety, insomnia, and less energy. Having sex increases your body's nitric oxide levels.
- Sex also increases epinephrine, oxytocin, dopamine and serotonin, all of which are linked to mood, behavior, and well-being.
A new study in Human Reproduction says men have to keep moving.
- A new study, published in Human Reproduction, found that exercise helps increase sperm motility.
- 746 healthy young men were studied over a six-month period; the more exercise they got, the better their sperm.
- Globally, sperm counts have gone down by over 50 percent over the last half-century.
Attractive women are especially likely to dress modestly, but only in certain scenarios.
- Psychologists have long studied male intrasexual aggression, but women's is relatively understudied.
- Past research shows that women tend to be more aggressive toward women who are attractive or who display signs of sexual permissiveness.
- The results of a new study suggest that women make strategic decisions on what to wear in order to minimize aggression from other women.
What areas of the brain are activated when you feel a cosmic connection with someone?
- With evolution came the brain circuitry for feelings of deep attachment to a partner.
- This circuitry changes within the duration of a relationship, and feelings of attachment grow over time.
- In a healthy relationship, that attachment system sustains itself even through hard times.