A harrowing new report by the CDC should serve as a wake-up call.
- STD rates have risen every year since 2013, with 2017 showing the largest increase.
- Syphilis passed from mothers to babies is causing easily preventable infant deaths.
- STDs are easy to cure so far — the key is getting regularly tested.
A team of Japanese researchers comes across a remarkably simple trick.
- On average, ejaculate holds about a 50/50 mix of X and Y sperm.
- In some cultures and countries, there are strong historical and contemporary preferences for males over females.
- There are genes unique to X sperm that can be manipulated to make them swim more slowly than Y sperm.
A unique 3D model allows researchers to explore embryonic development.
- Researchers observe the beginning of embryonic stem cells dividing into upper and lower body sections.
- An interdisciplinary team invents an impressively accurate 10-day-old "embryoid."
- The team's model may be important to other future research on pregnancy.
If a fetus is a person, would it be a citizen too?
- Abortion rights in the United States might be in for a bit of a reduction.
- Many of the debates around abortion center around what rights, if any, a fetus should have.
- If a fetus is a person, the question of if it would be a citizen seems quickly comes to mind.
Men should be just concerned as women.
- A study from Rutgers documents age-related reproductive factors for men.
- Beyond a certain age, men risk a variety of serious hazards to their mates and offspring.
- Men planning to father children should consider banking their sperm before reaching 35.