Is the pessimism about jobs totally unwarented?
Even if automation makes human trafficking economically inefficient, that alone won't end this unethical practice.
- Robotic automation may one day make slavery economically inefficient, but automation does not spring forth fully formed.
- An interim period of piecemeal coverage may leave many at-risk, low-skilled workers in danger of exploitation.
- Nor can automation sate the political and social motives for slavery found in some societies.
How much are free online goods worth to people, anyway? Researcher attempt to find an answer.
Humans hate to surrender, but this clearly makes good sense.
- In a new Science article, three academics make the case for managed retreat due to climate change.
- Beginning the process now instead of waiting until it's too late will save money and lives.
- Indonesia is moving its capital from Jakarta to Borneo as the former city is sinking.
North America and Europe peripheral on China's 'vertical world map'
- Europe has dominated cartography for so long that its central place on the world map seems normal
- However, as the economic centre of gravity shifts east and the climate warms up, tomorrow's map may be very different
- Focusing on both China and Arctic shipping lanes, this vertical representation could be the world map of the future