A new study highlights the effects of a "digital detox" while traveling.
- A new study highlights what happens when travelers do not use technology while visiting foreign destinations.
- Participants initially reported withdrawal symptoms, only to enjoy the experience more as the day progressed.
- "Digital detox" retreats are growing in popularity, though the cost of many can be prohibitive.
This modern therapy technique has been shown to be effective and easy to learn — could teaching it to students help cut off a growing mental health crisis?
- Adolescents are experiencing higher rates of mental disorders than ever before.
- One possible solution to this crisis would be to teach students cognitive behavioral therapy, an effective, modern therapeutic technique that focuses on addressing "distorted" thinking.
- What are the arguments for and against teaching cognitive behavioral therapy in school?
When he was developing his famous hierarchy of needs, Abraham Maslow cited 9 historical figures that achieved self-actualization.
- In order to develop his model of self-actualization, Abraham Maslow interviewed friends, colleagues, students, and historical figures.
- These 9 historical figures demonstrate different aspects of self-actualization that Maslow believed all self-actualized individuals possessed to one degree or another.
- By studying these figures, we can come to a better understanding of what self-actualization really is.
A new essay by Rafael Euba questions the goals of the happiness industry.
- Biologically speaking, humans are not designed for happiness, writes Rafael Euba on The Conversation.
- Depression is a natural part of life, fostering problem-solving skills and keeping us out of dangerous situations.
- Euba says the $11 billion positive thinking industry is a big reason for this focus on happiness.
The Harvard Medical School's clinical professor of psychiatry wrote the book on the topic.
- Dr. John Ratey's 2008 book, Spark, investigated the many important effects that exercise has on mental health.
- While physical fitness is essential to good health, moving in a variety of ways is even more important.
- Recent research suggests that exercise is as effective for treating certain mental health conditions as pharmaceuticals.