We have to practice doing nothing more often.
- Constantly being busy is neurologically taxing and emotionally draining.
- In his new book, Jon Kabat-Zinn writes that you're doing a disservice to others by always being busy.
- Busyness is often an excuse for the discomfort of being alone with your own thoughts.
Who would have thought that endlessly comparing your life to others would make you feel bad?
- Prior research has shown that social media usage can negatively impact our mental health, but until now, very few studies have shown this experimentally.
- A study from the University of Pennsylvania asked study participants to limit their social media usage so their resulting mental health could be measured.
- The results tell us how to regulate our social media usage to improve our well-being.
Ketamine is showing promise in alleviating suicidal thoughts.
- The popular party drug has shown promise in stopping suicidal thoughts in a number of small clinical studies.
- First synthesized in 1962, the anesthetic was used to treat Vietnam War soldiers in the early seventies.
- Though the accompanying hallucinations are a roadblock to widespread therapy, innovations in psychiatry are necessary.
An astronaut had to overcome hearing loss to get to fly to space.
- Leland Melvin was told he'd never be an astronaut after he lost all his hearing.
- He got a chance to fly to space and honor the legacy of his friends after the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster.
- Leland worked on building the space station in an "amazing transformation" from the lowest point in his life.
It's not just a case of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".
- A new study suggests children who endure trauma grow up to be adults with more empathy than others.
- The effect is not universal, however. Only one kind of empathy was greatly effected.
- The study may lead to further investigations into how people cope with trauma and lead to new ways to help victims bounce back.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.