Laws can't stand by themselves. Professor James Stoner explains why.
- Can you divorce the rule of law from the virtue of justice? Immanuel Kant said the perfect constitution would work even among a nation of devils, provided they were intelligent devils.
- Professor James Stoner thinks the opposite is true. The right punishments don't lead people to behave well, we are also guided to make morally good decisions by our conscience—by our internal sense of justice.
- The ability of all people to pursue their own good is itself a kind of common good of a liberal society.
A study at the University of Oregon puts a longstanding myth to rest.
- Cats form attachments to their caregivers at the same rate as humans and dogs, a new study shows.
- Seventy kittens were tested in the initial study, followed by another with 38 cats over one year of age.
- Cats speak a different language than dogs, which likely caused confusion as to their nature.
Cat owners are no more likely to be crazy than you.
- A study at UCLA found that cat and dog owners are just as likely to be crazy as non-pet owners.
- Misunderstanding cats often results from expecting them to act like dogs.
- Learning the natural behavior of your pet is essential for developing a strong bond with them.
The Portal promises to be a deep dive into the possible.
- Mathematician Eric Weinstein wants to put the mystery back into the world with his new podcast, The Portal.
- The managing director of Thiel Capital announced his new project last week on the Joe Rogan Experience.
- Weinstein says the recurring narrative is important during childhood, yet we often lose touch with it in adulthood.
Conversation helps sexual satisfaction and desire, especially with partners in committed relationships.
- A new meta-analysis from the University of Texas at Austin finds that better sexual communication leads to better sex.
- The survey of 48 studies discovered that communication plays a key role in helping with a number of sexual dysfunctions.
- Both genders benefit in regard to orgasms and satisfaction, while desire is an important component of female sexuality.