Here's how to set clear expectations about household management.
- When managing household tasks, its best to set clear expectations about whose job it is to take care of what.
- Often we do things we feel are important, and put less value on other tasks others may be doing — it's important to show appreciation to keep home maintenance a well-oiled machine.
- Often people feel it's not their responsibility to keep things maintained when others are acting similarly in a shared space.
Studies from neuroscience highlight how the brain both helps with and prevents collaboration.
- Neuroscientists identify the parts of the brain that affect our social decision-making.
- Guilt has a large affect on social interactions, find the researchers.
- To find ways to cooperate, people need to let go of fear and anxiety, suggest studies
When we encounter disagreeable ideas and situations where we just don't agree with someone, we don't often think about our brain's role in our ultimate reaction to the situation. But if we are mindful of the processes that take place, we should be able to take a larger view and find the courage to get past the sticking points, moving towards cooperation.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this video do not necessarily reflect the views of the Charles Koch Foundation, which encourages the expression of diverse viewpoints within a culture of civil discourse and mutual respect.
Good quotes are powerful catalysts for positive actions.
- Quotes can be good reminders that we're not alone in our struggles.
- The most powerful quotes remind us that while failure is not optional, how we treat it is.
- Fail well and learn from it, the most successful figures remind us again and again.
The Belgian psychotherapist has a lot to teach us.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.