A new book on the music distribution service claims it is.
- Spotify Teardown claims that the streaming service is sending (and receiving) much more than music.
- The authors contend that the service is engaged in emotional manipulation given their playlist emphasis.
- Music is only the surface layer of a much larger data collection and advertising infrastructure.
The famed science fiction author coined the term "cyberspace" before it existed.
- In 1984, science fiction author William Gibson coined the term "cyberspace" in his debut novel Neuromancer (which he wrote on a typewriter).
- In a 1997 interview with the BBC, he said we should respond to new technologies with "profound ambivalence."
- While he doesn't think his original vision of the internet has come to life, he might have been premature given the centralization of power of the digital world.
China's export growth model hit a wall. So it reinvented itself.
- China is no longer an impoverished manufacturer of the world's products; it is a major consumer market of 1.4 billion people.
- When its manufacturing boom hit a wall, China changed tactics and invested heavily in consumerism at home – a second boom that will make China king.
- Global brands are desperate for a piece of China's $5 trillion private consumer market.
Thoughtful advice on how to manage a volatile market.
I check my finances, including my 401K, every single day. Every. Single. Day. My financial fixation stems from my mother's obsessive preoccupation with prioritizing saving over spending. She had several economic edicts on repeat throughout my childhood: Earn a dollar. Spend 50 cents. Save 50 cents; It's not how much you make, it's how much you keep.
Throughout his career, the famous philosopher has been trying to correct people's misconceptions about anarchy. Here's some of his thinking.
- Anarchism is usually connected to violence and chaos, but as a philosophy, its tenets are more nuanced than mere destruction for destruction's sake.
- It may surprise some to find out that Noam Chomsky, famous for his innovations in linguistics and philosophy, describes himself as an anarchist.
- Whether you agree with him or not, understanding anarchism can lead to a better understanding of our society and its politics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.