The world's largest retailer has evolved "like a flea market," according to a new report from The Wall Street Journal.
- The report found more than 4,000 listings for products deemed to be unsafe, banned or mislabelled.
- These products included mislabelled pain relievers, dangerous children's toys, and helmets that had failed federal safety tests.
- There are some steps you can take to avoid buying unsafe or counterfeit products from Amazon.
Until the use of prison labor is banned, many stakeholders will be incentivized to prevent felons from being rehabilitated.
- The Thirteenth amendment prohibits slavery in the U.S. except as punishment for a crime.
- A considerable number of public institutions, private companies, and individuals benefit from prison labor.
- Is true prison reform possible when some many stand to gain from this legalized form of slavery?
Recognizing the consequences of your actions requires consideration of the long game.
- A boycott of Equinox and SoulCycle has been called as owner Stephen Ross held a fundraiser for President Donald Trump.
- While the story has made headlines, the actual consequences of member cancellations are not what many think.
- The episode provides another example of the dangers of cancel culture.
In McMindfulness, Ronald Purser says modern mindfulness is dictated more by market forces than ethics.
- Detaching mindfulness from Buddhist principles is deceiving, claims McMindfulness author Ronald Purser.
- In his new book, Purser argues that neoliberal policies have distorted the true aim of mindfulness.
- Purser says that being better workers is a far cry from the essential moral practices of Buddhism.
A new essay by Rafael Euba questions the goals of the happiness industry.
- Biologically speaking, humans are not designed for happiness, writes Rafael Euba on The Conversation.
- Depression is a natural part of life, fostering problem-solving skills and keeping us out of dangerous situations.
- Euba says the $11 billion positive thinking industry is a big reason for this focus on happiness.