Yet another study shows the potential efficacy of psychedelics in treating addiction.
- MDMA could help alcoholics break their addiction (and not relapse) suggests a new study in the UK.
- Ketamine became the first FDA-sanctioned psychedelic for use in treating depression earlier this year.
- The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) organization hopes to have legally prescribed MDMA on the shelves by 2021.
How deep are America's cultural fault lines? Depends on which data you crunch.
- America is a divided nation, but perhaps its divisions are as much in the eye of the beholder.
- This map charts the geographic fault lines between 'crazy drunk' America and 'bible study' America.
- Strangely, Las Vegas falls in the latter category – and Salt Lake City in the former.
A new study highlights the effects of a "digital detox" while traveling.
- A new study highlights what happens when travelers do not use technology while visiting foreign destinations.
- Participants initially reported withdrawal symptoms, only to enjoy the experience more as the day progressed.
- "Digital detox" retreats are growing in popularity, though the cost of many can be prohibitive.
Compared to traditional cigarettes, e-cigarettes are extremely understudied. There is, however, some evidence on their negative effects on your health.
- Traditional cigarettes have the benefit of decades' worth of research on their harmful effects. E-cigarettes are relatively new, and our understanding of their long-term effects is limited.
- To fill this gap, researchers are conducting studies to identify exactly how e-cigarettes effect our bodies.
- To date, it appears that e-cigarettes are better for you than traditional cigarettes, but that doesn't make them harmless.
Part Two of an interview with Dr. John Ratey.
- Harvard Medical School professor John Ratey says diet and exercise are both needed for optimal brain and body health.
- Ratey believes meat alternatives will be helpful in the future, but the science is not there yet.
- He also advises exercise as a necessary component of addiction recovery.