America's socialists owe a lot to one man, but what did he think about socialism?
- Michael Harrington was a public intellectual who strove to help the poor and inspired a generation of socialists.
- He was the first chairman of the Democratic Socialists of America, and nearly ran for president in 1980.
- While he is far from the only influential thinker on the American left, his ideas have had an outsized influence over the last sixty years.
The Canadian professor calls for personal responsibility over legislation.
- Shortly after the Las Vegas shooting, Jordan Peterson replied to a question about gun control in America.
- Peterson believes only the police and army being armed is dangerous, and that the citizenry should be equally dangerous.
- He also feels that legislation would do "zero" to stop school shootings in America.
Healthy Housing Foundation has purchased four properties in Los Angeles, with more planned.
- Los Angeles' homeless population has swelled to over 50,000 in recent years.
- While the local government has dedicated $138M to combat the problem, progress has been slow.
- Charitable organizations are stepping in to house as many people as possible.
The story of that one time a U.S. city was run by a Soviet, and what it was like to live in it.
- In 1919, the city of Seattle was shut down by a strike. Most business that took place was union approved.
- The story shows how a city can be run by workers even in the United States.
- It also shows that big ideas can benefit from well thought out plans.
Throughout history, anarchists have been responsible for bombings and assassinations, including some very recent ones.
- Anarchism isn't always violent, but there's a reason why that stereotype has stuck.
- Throughout history, anarchists have tried to bomb and assassinate different targets – including Barack Obama.
- Here are 5 notable anarchist plots, ranging from centuries-old bombings to modern-day assassination attempts.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.