Mega-rich entrepreneurs are taking us where no human being has gone before.
- During the first golden era of space exploration, we went to the Moon. Then, says Dr. Michio Kaku, we sort of dropped the ball for 50 years.
- Space travel is very expensive, especially the way governments do space travel: It costs $10,000 to put a pound of anything into orbit around planet Earth.
- We need to have an infusion of public and private funds. That's where billionaires such as Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos come into the picture. With their help, we have new energies, new strategies and, most importantly, a new vision to go back into outer space.
Even if the company call pull it off, are Americans ready to trust fully autonomous cars?
- Tesla held an investor event on April 22, during which CEO Elon Musk promised the company will soon roll out a robotaxi network to rival companies like Uber and Lyft.
- Some experts say Tesla is overselling its ability to provide truly autonomous vehicles.
- About 71 percent of Americans are still fearful of self-driving cars, up 8 percentage points from 2017.
After docking at the International Space Station, the unmanned capsule executed a fiery and carefully choreographed return to Earth.
- Crew Dragon has successfully completed its six-day mission designed to test whether the capsule is fit to transport humans to the ISS.
- SpaceX and NASA collaborated on the mission, which signals an end of U.S. reliance on Russian spacecraft to transport astronauts to the space station.
- Boeing also is working with NASA to execute missions to the space station, and plans to conduct similar tests in the coming months.
A recent test shows SpaceX's Raptor engine is powerful enough to lift Starship and Super Heavy into space.
- SpaceX plans to use its new Raptor engines to power Starship and Super Heavy, two craft that would be used on a future Mars journey.
- The company has been testing its Raptor engines in Texas this week, though Thursday's announcement is the first time the engine has been shown able to produce the force necessary to lift Super Heavy and Starship.
- Raptor is powered by methane, a fuel source that SpaceX chose because the company hopes to someday generate it on Mars.
In 2008, Elon Musk explained which of history's tech geniuses was his role model.
- In 2008, Elon Musk told an interviewer about his role models.
- His father had less of an influence than has been reported.
- Musk was a fan of both Edison and Tesla but preferred Edison.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.