New study figures out how stars produce gamma ray bursts.
These needles in the vast galactic haystack take more effort to find, but they help piece together our origins.
- With billions of stars in our galaxy, why should astronomers seek out the oldest ones?
- Age-dating stars is a complicated process, so astronomers use chemical compositions, telescopes, and prisms to determine the age of these ancient stars.
- Some telescopes used for this purpose are in extremely remote places, where you can observe the bright band of the Milky Way with the naked eye.
An astrophysicist proposes new designs for stellar engines that can move a solar system.
- An astrophysicist proposes two new designs for stellar engines.
- The engines would be able to move our sun and whole solar systems.
- Moving the sun would be necessary to avoid collisions with supernovas and other space catastrophes.
CuriosityStream is a non-fiction streaming platform of over 2,000 documentary features and series that open up every facet of our planet, our times and our universe.
- CuriosityStream offers a streaming library of over 2,000 documentary features and series.
- The service was created by Discovery Channel, TLC and Animal Planet founder John S. Hendricks.
- CuriosityStream is available anywhere with no international geo-locking restrictions.
A mysterious startup reveals a groundbreaking solar energy achievement.
- Heliogen, a startup backed by Bill Gates and Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong, announces a solar energy breakthrough.
- The company's array of mirrors generated heat of 1,000 degrees Celsius, nearly twice as much as before.
- The startup aims to utilize the technology in industrial processes, significantly reducing gas emissions.