What is it about "moo" that you don't understand?
- 333 cow recordings reveal rich communications and unique individual voices.
- Cows do more than vocalize to their calves — they share emotions with each other.
- A better understanding of what cows are saying and feeling can help in the formulation of humane cattle-care standards.
Your cat thinks your taste stinks. Also that you're mingy with the laser pointer.
Among the variety of human screams, it is screams of terror that stand out most vividly.
Scientists may have seen a way to cure a maddening symptom of hearing loss.
- A treatment for tinnitus – a constant ringing in the ears – has been frustratingly elusive.
- Out-of-control inflammation, the brain's response to damage, may be the cause of long-term ringing in the ears.
- A study that examined mice with noise-induced hearing loss seems to have found the neural trigger for tinnitus.
One of Stephen Hawking's predictions seems to have been borne out in a man-made "black hole."
- Stephen Hawking predicted virtual particles splitting in two from the gravitational pull of black holes.
- Black holes, he also said, would eventually evaporate due to the absorption of negatively charged virtual particles.
- A scientist has built a black hole analogue based on sound instead of light.