Among the variety of human screams, it is screams of terror that stand out most vividly.
Scientists may have seen a way to cure a maddening symptom of hearing loss.
- A treatment for tinnitus – a constant ringing in the ears – has been frustratingly elusive.
- Out-of-control inflammation, the brain's response to damage, may be the cause of long-term ringing in the ears.
- A study that examined mice with noise-induced hearing loss seems to have found the neural trigger for tinnitus.
One of Stephen Hawking's predictions seems to have been borne out in a man-made "black hole."
- Stephen Hawking predicted virtual particles splitting in two from the gravitational pull of black holes.
- Black holes, he also said, would eventually evaporate due to the absorption of negatively charged virtual particles.
- A scientist has built a black hole analogue based on sound instead of light.
Between the noise and frustration, we're suffering more than ever.
- Traffic has been implicated in measurable exhaustion, an increase in blood pressure, negative attitudinal shifts, and a constant release of stress hormones.
- In 2009, 3.9 billion gallons of fuel and 4.8 billion hours of time were wasted by Americans sitting in traffic.
- Traffic is costing the US economy $100 billion every year.
A breakthrough app for ultrasonic squeak analysis.
- Mice have a vocabulary of about 20 different phrases.
- A clever new neural-network-based application reveals what mice used in research say.
- Spoiler: The conversation changes when a female shows up