Modern capitalism is a "very silly" way of organizing life, says Yanis Varoufakis.
- Wealth inequality in modern capitalism creates a joyless economy for both the rich and the poor, says Yanis Varoufakis.
- Wealth inequality in a time of economic abundance makes society less civilized. More evenly distributed resources allow humans to create the literature, art and intellectual works that make human life richer.
- The universalized depression and stress caused by inequality is "incongruent with our fantastic advances at the technological level," says Varoufakis. "It's a very silly way of organizing life."
How can we use the resources that are already on the Moon to make human exploration of the satellite as economical as possible?
If you were transported to the Moon this very instant, you would surely and rapidly die. That's because there's no atmosphere, the surface temperature varies from a roasting 130 degrees Celsius (266 F) to a bone-chilling minus 170 C (minus 274 F). If the lack of air or horrific heat or cold don't kill you then micrometeorite bombardment or solar radiation will. By all accounts, the Moon is not a hospitable place to be.
Access to trauma care is a race issue. It shouldn't be.
- Chicago's South Side didn't have a trauma care unit until last year; the last closed in 1991.
- Whether immediate trauma care or long-term mental health care, access to facilities is limited in minority neighborhoods.
- Since the University of Chicago's Level 1 Trauma Center opened, there's been a seven-fold reduction in the disparity in the city's access to care.
Food deserts are a problem. One solution might already exist.
- Fourteen percent of Americans currently live in a food desert with little access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
- A new study in Las Vegas food deserts shows that dollar discount stores offer produce equal in quality to chain grocers.
- While food availability in discount stores is an issue, these stores beat chains in terms of price.
The Green New Deal is an ambitious attempt to fight climate change, but is it destined to hit the political skids?
- Recent protests by the Sunrise Movement have taken the Green New Deal from forgotten policy to trending hashtag.
- The Green New Deal aims to move the U.S. to 100% renewable energy within a decade.
- Proponents also hope to catalyze a top-down restructuring of the U.S. economy and advance social justice issues.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.