A new book about life under communism reveals an unexpected benefit.
- A new book by Kristen Ghodsee argues that women had much better sex in communist Eastern Europe than in the West.
- She attributes this to steps those states took to empower women and their resulting economic independence.
- While rebuilding the Iron Curtain isn't called for, the author suggests we can learn ways to empower women from these communist regimes.
China's export growth model hit a wall. So it reinvented itself.
- China is no longer an impoverished manufacturer of the world's products; it is a major consumer market of 1.4 billion people.
- When its manufacturing boom hit a wall, China changed tactics and invested heavily in consumerism at home – a second boom that will make China king.
- Global brands are desperate for a piece of China's $5 trillion private consumer market.
A growing middle-class is set to drive the sharing economy in the near future.
In 2019, it is a mind-bending exercise to reflect on the past decade of the sharing economy. A time traveller who skipped here from 2009 would note that it has fulfilled both more than, and less than, its original potential.
What is socialism with Chinese characteristics, and is it just capitalism?
- China has undergone massive economic reforms over the last few decades while remaining officially communist.
- The state still has tremendous power over the economy, but private enterprise and markets dominate daily life.
- The question of if the Chinese economy is technically capitalist remains unanswered.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.