Why doesn't the U.S. generate more electricity from wind?
- Wind turbines in Scotland produced more than 9.8 million megawatt-hours of electricity in the first half of 2019.
- Scotland is a global leader in renewable energies, generating more than half of its electricity consumption from renewables.
- The U.S. currently generates about 7 percent of its electricity from wind.
- There are islands in the Chesapeake Bay that have already succumbed to sea level rise, one of them is Holland Island.
- Even in a best case scenario, the consensus is that we'll get at least two feet of sea level rise by the year 2100.
- One big question is: What will happen when flooding gets worse and worse and people decide there's no hope for them anymore to live in their respective towns.
The term socialism makes political discourse difficult. Should we do away with it altogether?
- Politicians such as Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez have self-styled themselves as socialists.
- Linguist John McWhorter argues the term is so polluted that even well-intented usage will make critical discourse impossible.
- He recommends leftists drop the liberal and socialist labels and transition fully to progressives.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin recently stated that liberalism has "outlived its purpose."
- Research suggests, however, that liberal ideals — among them, democracy, individual agency, and economic freedom — are not only on the rise but improve the wellbeing of people living in countries that support them.
- Recent challenges to liberalism are serious but have not overpowered the liberal tradition.
A universal basic income is just one of Andrew Yang's ideas to update capitalism for the 21st century.
- Andrew Yang's universal basic income proposal has gained a lot of attention, but it is just one part of his "human-center capitalism" philosophy.
- Human-centered capitalism calls for government to refocus on human wellbeing, not GDP growth, as the go-to metric of economic success.
- Yang is one of many thinkers looking to update capitalism for the 21st century.