Experts say two emerging meat alternatives will challenge the conventional meat industry.
- "Novel vegan meat alternatives" and cultured meat will likely become competitors to traditional meat products, the report says.
- The report was conducted by the consulting firm A.T. Kearney and was based on expert interviews.
- Cultured meat isn't yet on the market, but could be by 2021.
Beefless meat enters the mainstream.
- Burger King is testing its first major foray into the field of beefless patties.
- On top of plant-based meats, cellular agriculture — or "cell-ag" — can also yield animal-free patties.
- A new report lists 90 reasons that cell-ag holds a lot of promise.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
Food is about to change.
- IBM's 2019 5 in 5 predicts major changes on the horizon.
- Food chain technology, from farmers' financing to desktop pathogen sensors, is about to explode.
- IBM and others have big ideas about reducing famine and food-borne illness.
Good bacteria are our friends. We need to protect them.
- More and more research nowadays links good gut flora to several health benefits, such as the inhibition of Alzheimer's to a fast metabolism.
- Since we're over prescribed antibiotics, and because much of the meat we consume comes from animals that were fed antibiotics, we are destroying much of the good bacteria, and often at the risk — because of our diets — of replenishing them.
- A well-rounded diet that's light in animal protein, high in macronutrients, and supplemented with a good intake of prebiotics can ensure we're keeping probiotics flourishing.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.