Why the effects of aging are detrimental to being the U.S. president.
- As there's a minimum age, there should be a maximum one.
- Aging causes decline in numerous cognitive skills as shown in numerous studies.
- Older candidates are less likely to support new ideas, technologies and societal changes.
Peaceful protest in the face of Putin.
- Russians protesting for a free election process now have a new image to rally behind.
- 17 year old Olga Misik sat in front of riot police reading the Russian constitution.
- She read aloud the passage, which affirms the right to peaceful gatherings.
Less local newspapers are making the populace more uninformed.
- As of 2016 there are roughly 1,300 daily newspapers in the United States.
- Only 45 percent of counties in the United States contain a daily newspaper headquarters.
- National news is influencing local politics and make citizens vote blindly along party lines.
Millions of Americans didn't vote during the midterms — excuses there are many. Some are valid.
- Usually, only about 40 percent of eligible voters participate in midterm elections.
- Political philosopher John Stuart Mill believed it would be for the collective good if everybody voted.
- Because of logistics, we may need to change the time of year we vote.
The states with golden stars on them are extra intriguing.
- Barnes & Noble reported a 57% increase in political book sales compared to 2017.
- The top three best-selling political books of 2018 have been mostly critical of President Donald Trump, though each state varies in which political books it buys most.
- Despite the boost in sales, Barnes & Noble could put itself up for sale in the near future.