The gem lapis lazuli is the source of luminescent blue in manuscript illustrations.
- It turns out medieval religious manuscripts were not exclusively the domain of male monks.
- Fleck of a rare gemstone pigment in fossilized teeth prove women were involved in the making of religious manuscripts.
- We'll never see these exquisite books the same way again.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Was Jesus a real historical figure? Here's what we know.
- Jesus's historical existence is generally accepted among scholars.
- The evidence for the reality of Jesus Christ includes writings by historians, artifacts and eyewitness accounts.
- The spiritual and miraculous nature of Jesus is a different story.
One cardinal is accused of covering up sexual abuse. The other faces criminal charges in Australia.
- The cardinals have been removed from the pope's C-9 cabinet, an informal group designed to help restructure the bureaucracy of the Vatican.
- The cardinals have not been removed from the church.
- In February, the Vatican will host a conference to inform church leaders about the impacts of sexual abuse.
Where is God? Michelle Thaller lays out a cosmic view of religion, science, and the human condition.
- Ancient humans believed lightning, seasons, and other unexplainable natural phenomenon were the acts of gods, but what happens when scientific discovery unravels those mysteries?
- NASA astronomer and science communicator Michelle Thaller explains how scientific discovery has changed the search for God, and that religion may be something that happens between people, if they choose, rather than out there in the cosmos.
- It's not a miracle that Earth is the perfect incubator for human life—we were created by the laws of the universe, and in those laws we can find great beauty and belonging.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.