Are Americans growing more skeptical of promises of investment from massive (digital) companies?
- Amazon had spent years on a controversial campaign to select cities where it plans to build giant corporate campuses.
- In November, the retail giant announced plans to build its so-called HQ2 in Virginia and New York.
- On Thursday, Amazon cancelled its plans to build in New York following backlash from local lawmakers, union leaders, and protestors.
Foundational business books for success.
Fifty Inventions That Shaped the Modern Economy, by Tim Harford
- Explore the 50 inventions that made the modern world.
- There is rich advice in the literature of start-up development.
- Learn about the interconnectedness of innovation and business development.
Where is your data now? Follow the money.
- Your day to day actions on the Internet give businesses personal data that turns you into an ad target – or the opposite.
- Facebook, for example, allowed landlords to block demographic groups such as African Americans, LGBTQ, or disabled people from seeing housing ads – a violation of the 1968 Fair Housing Act.
- Data brokers have crossed a line, but the laws that should regulate them are outdated; just look at the billion-dollar data deal between 23andMe and Big Pharma. Is it ethical?
Lumina Foundation is partnering with Big Think to unearth the next large-scale, rapid innovation in post-high school education. Enter the competition here!
Gender differences arise only in negotiations between a man and a woman where the woman is in the weak position, but not when the woman is the empowered party.
The figure of 78 cents to a man's dollar is familiar to many of us. It's how the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics has quantified the gender gap among full-time workers: for each dollar that men earn, women earn 78 cents.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.