Here's how to best position yourself for taking advantage of the unexpected.
- Why are companies like Apple on top of the world while others like Blackberry have been relegated to a minor market share? Why is Netflix king and Blockbuster extinct? Netflix spotted a strategic inflection point and capitalized on it, says Rita Gunther McGrath.
- A strategic inflection point is a shift in the external environment that changes the assumptions upon which a business is based—it could be technology, social norms, or a company's reputation.
- People and organizations who see inflection points early and respond to them with a small investment or an experiment have an advantage. They will swim while their competitors may sink.
It will be available in select Canadian locations starting Sept. 30.
- McDonald's partnered with Beyond Meat to make the meatless sandwich, which costs slightly more than a Big Mac.
- McDonald's is conducting a 12-week test in 28 Canadian restaurants to collect feedback from customers and employees.
- Still, it's possible that the tests will show that it's not quite time for McDonald's to bring plant-based products to its U.S. restaurants.
America's racial wealth disparity is entrenched, with devastating effects. What if we got rid of it?
- A new study shows that the wealth gap in the United States is still here, huge, and affects every aspect of our economic lives.
- The authors explain that narrowing the gap would increase GDP size substantially.
- The study also reminds us that little will change without major policy changes.
What's the big promise of blockchain in business? Its ability to eliminate the middle man.
- Blockchain is basically a ledger of people's transactions. It is the underlying programming on top of which the cryptocurrency bitcoin was developed.
- Blockchain doesn't allow for people's transactions to be hacked because everyone has access to a record of the values exchanged. Because of this, it is said to be unhackable.
- Blockchain has many potential uses, such as in accounting systems. This is already the case in Dubai, where its used for the city's stock exchange, and in the Baltic states, such as Latvia and Lithuania, for their political processes.
Can Impossible Foods beat other brands — like Beyond Meat and Tyson — in the war to dominate the alternative meat industry?
- The Impossible Burger will be available in 27 Gelson's Markets stores in Southern California starting Sept. 20.
- Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods sell plant-based burgers in restaurants, but only Beyond Meat sells products in grocery stores.
- Tyson could begin to edge out these smaller companies with its unique meat product that contains plant and animal components, appealing to health-conscious "flexitarians."