Research finds that only 10% of cities worldwide are affordable.
Humans blame cats for killing birds, but our buildings are far worse.
- Nearly a billion birds are killed every year after flying into windows.
- The American Bird Conservancy published an extensive guide to incorporating bird-friendly design into buildings.
- Over twenty cities have programs to help reduce the number of avian deaths.
As we urbanize, a new study flags the need for lots of green spaces.
- A childhood spent in green spaces reduces the chance of acquiring adult mental disorders by 15% to 55%.
- A comprehensive study tracked the life stories of one million Danes to reach this conclusion.
- Humanity is moving to cities, and the report underscores the need for ample green spaces for children.
It may create the conditions for further inequality.
- The Danish government is building nine artificial islands known as Holmene off the coast of Hvidovre.
- The 33 million square feet of new land will house 380 businesses and 170 acres of parkland, creating 30,000 new jobs.
- Local residents fear this project will alienate the middle class while disrupting traffic and public transportation systems in nearby Copenhagen.
People prefer to live in states that invest in life-easing amenities.
- Study reveals the Americans who live in states that spend more on tangible "public goods" are happier.
- This spending makes communities "more livable."
- Pain of higher property taxes largely balanced out by higher property values and quality of life.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.