Even if automation makes human trafficking economically inefficient, that alone won't end this unethical practice.
- Robotic automation may one day make slavery economically inefficient, but automation does not spring forth fully formed.
- An interim period of piecemeal coverage may leave many at-risk, low-skilled workers in danger of exploitation.
- Nor can automation sate the political and social motives for slavery found in some societies.
Regan Williams, co-founder of Seen and Heard, wants adults to listen to children.
- Regan Williams, CEO of Seen and Heard, is on a mission to help foster youth develop necessary social and career skills through the performing arts.
- Williams says 300,000 American children are commercially trafficked every year.
- Children in our society are ignored except when they're famous or sexualized, which is part of the reason sexual abuse is not covered.
#MeToo and #TimesUp catapult America into the club of world's most anti-women countries
- India tops a global ranking of most dangerous countries for women
- Most other countries in the Top 10 cluster together in an Indo-Arab-African window of 'female-unfriendliness'
- One outlier: the United States – 10th most dangerous country for women
We may not learn and grow beyond the #MeToo era if we keep thinking in black and white, says comedian Pete Holmes.
- The collective suffering society is going through with the #MeToo movement is the earmark that real change is happening, says comedian Pete Holmes. Abusers need to acknowledge their wrongdoing and, where possible, be open about their evolution and growth.
- Comedian Louis C.K.'s abuses and return to the stage have divided the comedy community and society on a broader scale. The debate predominately has two narratives: Either C.K. is a monster, or he is a symbol of artistic freedom.
- The truth, says Holmes, is likely in the middle, and our need to take a binary stance won't help us confront and grow from these complicated issues.
If virtue is insufficient temptation, then the internet makes sure we are never lacking.