As this map of Bouguer's gravity anomaly shows, the pull of the earth varies considerably by region.
- The law of gravity may be universal, gravity itself varies considerably across the earth.
- Most factors can be mathematically accounted for; local geology is the odd one out.
- Bouguer gravity anomaly maps like these show regional gravitational variation.
Researchers develop a novel method to measure gravity that can get much more information.
- Scientists use lasers that suspend atoms in air to measure gravity.
- This method can be more precise and allow for gathering of much more information.
- Portal devices using this technique can help find mineral deposits and improve mapping.
An orangutan has settled into a Florida home after a court granted her personhood rights. But what is the basis for personhood?
- An orangutan named Sandra was granted non-human personhood rights in 2015 and has been moved from the Buenos Aires Zoo to a home in Florida.
- Legal personhood is not synonymous with human being. A "non-human person" refers to an entity that possesses some rights for limited legal purposes.
- Sentience might be the characteristic necessary for granting legal rights to non-human species.
New research provides insights on the effect of the lunar cycles on wildlife behavior.
- Researchers at Lund University in Sweden charted the migratory activity of European nightjars to find out how the lunar cycle and moon light affected the birds' departure.
- The birds consistently took flight for sub-Saharan Africa around ten to eleven days after the full moon in synchronization.
- Previous research has indicated that lunar cycles affect wildlife, for example the Great Barrier Reef coordinates its "annual sex festival" with the full moon.
While the blockbuster franchise might have given us a distorted view of science's capabilities to address species extinction, new research might come close to "resurrecting" lost species' DNA.
- Jurassic Park has fueled public misconceptions about science's abilities to bring extinct species back to life.
- De-extinction technology can resurrect genetic material from extinct species into their living relatives in a way that can assist conservation efforts.
- Fostering empathy for other-than-human lives through stories might be the key to addressing the current ecological catastrophe.