The results suggest eating too much sugar can lead to a drug-like dependence.
- The study involved feeding pigs sugar water, in addition to a regular diet, for 12 days.
- After 12 days, the researchers observed major changes in the pigs' dopamine and opioid systems.
- The results also suggest that eating too much sugar can raise our tolerance for other substances.
Today, a quickly emerging set of technologies known as bioprinting is poised to push the boundaries further.
A new study shows that altering the ISS and TOR pathways in roundworms can extend lifespan by 500 percent.
- The experiment was conducted on C. elegans, a nematode species often used in research on aging.
- Humans evolved with the same cellular pathways, suggesting that the findings might help inform anti-aging therapies for humans.
- The new study focuses on the role that mitochondria play in the aging process.
Georgia State University researchers have created a novel nanoparticle vaccine.
- A nanoparticle influenza vaccine developed at Georgia State University proved effective in mice.
- The researchers combined a pair of influenza proteins in a novel approach to vaccination.
- They plan on loading it onto microneedle patches for skin vaccinations in the next phase of testing.
It's all about the feeding window.
- A study at the University of Virginia Brain Institute links the brain's pleasure center with our biological clock.
- The easy availability of high-calorie foods has created a long feeding window each day, leading to an increase in obesity.
- To combat this trend, closing the feeding window, as with intermittent fasting, is proving important for optimal health.