An investigation finds the cause of failed NASA launches and $700 million in losses.
- An Oregon company provided falsified tests to a NASA rocket builder for almost two decades.
- The company is now liable for $46 million in payments and the lab manager went to prison.
- NASA can't test every single component itself, making it important the supply chain is protected.
The technology is poised to change how many companies operate.
- Blockchain technology, as a digital ledger for economic transactions, is poised to "radically" impact companies across the board.
- It may help reinforce the trust in certain markets as sensors collect data throughout production.
- Blockchain might also create a marketplace for whistleblowing.
Co-ops are more pervasive than you think. They just suffer from a marketing problem.
- The cooperative model accounts for $154B every year in America.
- America leads the world with cooperatives, with over 30,000 businesses operating under this model.
- Co-op advocate Nathan Schneider believes this model can help level the economic playing field.
Japan looks to replace China as the primary source of critical metals
- Enough rare earth minerals have been found off Japan to last centuries
- Rare earths are important materials for green technology, as well as medicine and manufacturing
- Where would we be without all of our rare-earth magnets?
Mercantilism, the oldest thing in economics, is back in a big way.
- The use of tariffs by the Trump administration has confused more than a few leading economists.
- The policy and the motivations behind them do reflect an economic theory with a long tradition: mercantilism.
- Understanding mercantilism can help us understand why there is a call for more tariffs, and what might happen to the economy as a result of them.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.